Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Our Light Overcomes Darkness

photo credit
It has been a busy couple of weeks. I sure many of you can relate: you feel like you are being pulled by five different things in ten different directions. That's how I've been feeling lately. I love it, in all honesty, I thrive when I have many things to accomplish; however, that doesn't mean I don't get overwhelmed in the process.

It is really easy to get overwhelmed isn't it. After a while you begin to shrink back into your comfort zone and barely manage the things closest to you. You don't intentionally allow it, but a sense of fear comes over you.

I understand this one all to well. I have been fearful much of my life. It is an all encompassing emotion that will keep you in bondage like nothing else. God has spent a lot of time helping me to expel my fear and fill it with His faithful love. It has not been an easy road. It also isn't over because it still comes back to me sometimes.

Like recently, when I've been so busy with so many things, fear has begun to crawl its way back into my heart. Just like I did before, I am turning to God's Word for the remedy, found only in His strength and presence.

photo credit
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10 

In other words, God has our backs. He's not going leave us in fear, He's going to comfort us and stay with us through every moment. He will give us His strength to overcome fear and hold us up through everything. I don't know about you, but that gives me goosebumps. I may be afraid, but I can do great things while holding my Daddy's hand.

As I was contemplating on all of this and filling my heart with God's love to go out and tackle more busyness God put something on my heart: We are suppose to be a light in the world and to overcome darkness, just as Christ did. 

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 

photo credit
Jesus was the light of the world and when we follow Him we will walk in light, even through the darkness. Jesus is our guide, He shows us the way we are to go and protects us on our journey. God takes us all in many different directions, using our many different types of gifts. However there is one thing we all have in common - whatever direction we are walking with the Lord, we are to replace darkness with light.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5

Darkness can not prevail over light. It's only attack is to take out the light. However when we walk with God, the darkness cannot touch us. It is only when we stray from our light, from God's faithful love for us, and focus on the darkness and the fear that we are in danger. But God does not want us to fear because He is always there with us wherever we go.

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

photo credit
Since God is light and we walk beside Him, we too become light to the world. Our commission, no matter where we go, is to let our light shine for the world. When our light shines, it overcomes the darkness. However, when we stay in our comfort zone and shine our light only into light, we overcome nothing. 

It is when we dispel fear for God's love and step out into the unknown, trusting God to be there with us, that our light shines the brightest for the glory of God.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment